Friday, July 2, 2010

Pride vs Humility

Prov 16:18-19 NLT
18 Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.
19 Better to live humbly with the poor, than to share plunder with the proud.

How many of us like to show-off?
Some how when we are young, most of us like to show-off whenever you have gotten a new thing.
Especially if it is totally different for the rest and probably the most expensive stuff you ever have.

During my secondary school days, i have friends who show-off their branded goods which was hardly obtainable where we used to live in a small town in Perak.
I'm not against those stuff... in fact, i would like to have one too. You know, you feel somehow proud and having a greater dignity while wearing them.
My first most expensive stuff I wore during my school days was my watch my father bought for me... it was a digital CASIO watch.
Oh man! digital man!
You must know it was during the 80s!

The only problem is when those stuff actually owns you!
We can become so materialistic and become proud of them!
And worse is looking down on others who do not have them or able to afford them!

What should be a good Pride? or Is there such a thing called a good Pride?
For me it will be...
1. counting the number of souls brought into the Kingdom of God;
2. Jesus increases, ministry decreases
3. God's glory shine, self-glory re-directed to God Himself

Application :
How humble can you be when your ministry is flourishing?
All that we have, we are and going to be have and be is all by the Grace of God.

Eph 2:8-9 NLT
8 God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God.
9 Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it.

No comments: